We are passionate to make Curve Fever a great social and competitive experience. We want our game to be fun to play for free and an even better experience for players who have some money to spare.
Right now the power upgrade system stands in the way of making a truly social and competitive, as it doesn’t allow players to play with their friends in a fair level playing field. Therefore we have been looking into ways on how we can replace this system.
The main reasons the power upgrading system doesn’t fit our game are:
- Upgrading powers makes people who are more vested in the game more powerful, meaning they can beat new players easily. When you want to play with your friend, who is maybe new to the game, this feels unfair. Also because of the power difference, players never know who is truely the most skillful player.
- The game is still heavily skill based. Upgrading of powers help, but it is not the most important thing to do. Therefor, players are not really focussed, nor excited to upgrade their powers.
- The whole interface for upgrading powers (including the locked crates) is difficult for new users to understand.
However, we also want to keep a few things that are cool about the current system:
- People like to mix and match different powers.
- People also like to get really good at a certain power combination.
- There is a large variety of different powers in the game (and not the same powers over and over again)
- We want players to always be able to play the game for free.
So we came up with a new system, that should have a good gaming experience for free players and an even better gaming experience for paying players.
- The upgrade system will be removed. All the powers will be the same for everyone. (Powers will be heavily rebalanced to reflect this). There will also be no coins anymore.
- We introduce Power rotation! Every day you get 3 free powers to play with that have an infinite amount of uses. Also, in crates you now also get points for powers. This means that you can mix and match multiple powers a day. Once the points for a power are used, you can still play with any power you desire by using some energy. Energy can be bought for gems. Before being able to play with a power you still have to unlock it by getting to the appropriate XP level.
- Players can play with any power combination to get a crate (also with the same ones over and over again)
- The number of crate slots is reduced from 8 to 4, XP you get out of a crate is proportionally increased.
Beside this we are also adding customization in the near future. How that will work we will explain in an other blog post.
We understand that many players have invested a lot of time in the game and upgraded their powers. Although there are many good things in this update, it can still feel as a loss. To reimburse these vested players, we will give 5 power points for each tournament level they upgraded their power towards. So if you have a lvl 1 laser, that is a lvl 9 tournament level, you will get 45 power points for laser. Meaning you can use laser in 45 games.
We are really excited to release this system soon and think it will have a good balance for new and experienced players alike.