Diamond player -- ALWAYS IN SILVER ARENAS?

curvefeverpro
suggestion

How am I supposed to rank up, I mean I win I get +4 if I lose I get -25 so that’s fair, right? It’s not fair to anyone to be ranked with a much higher/lower level. I get diamonds in gold arenas, but silver, really?

EDIT: We players should have the option if we are a certain rank like for instance, we’ve leveled up to diamond then there should be boxes to check like “Pair me up with “Bronze/silver/gold/diamond” and we can choose. Maybe some people JUST wanna be paired up with golds or diamonds to rank up more easily, but it can imply a longer waiting time. I would rather wait longer than to win +3 points at first place by competing against lower level players. And maybe sometime you just want to play immediately then you should be able to check all boxes. I think this really is a great solution. But I don’t think you should be able to choose to be paired up with higher levels than you already are.

Are you supposed to win +3 at first place and -25 at last place?

Hey,
look at the server you are connecting to.
Maybe u have connect only with US, without EU
You can change it in the settings

Didn’t work. Also I have like 300 ping in the US servers compared to the EU ones where I have 25.

Hello @alleah

Thank you for your feedback! We are always looking to improve them game.

A possible reason of this could be that people need to ‘be ready’. You can have 100 silvers, 50 golds, 25 diamonds and 10 red ranks in the queue, but they need to click the player button. If those people at the specific moment click the play button and these players are higher ranked, the system will match you with them. Why? Well because it doesn’t really have a choice. :wink:

I am not saying this is the very reason, but I did notice this reason myself some time ago.

But generally when in Diamond league, it’s extremely common to see that there is like 2 GMs ready, 1 Diamond ready, and a lot of bottom-gold/silvers ready, and I get assigned to the match with this one other diamond player and 4 silvers/bottom-golds.

We already discussed it in some other topic, and my stance is the only way to get many enough good matches is to monitor the queue and only “jump in” when it intuitively looks like there is little risk of being matched with silvers. Someone else in the topic called it out for being “unfair” behaviour and I do not totally disagree with him, but that’s the only thing I can do if I don’t want a lot of my matches to be against silvers. I started doing this (i.e. I’m ready, I see diamond/GM players ready, and silvers ready, I do not press play and instead I wait till the low-level players are matched, then I click play and hope to get a good match before more silvers come, and so on), and I see quite many others also turning from ready to “un-ready” many times over, so I assume they are doing just the same. I started this some 3 months ago or so I guess, and my number of “silver-gold matches” decreased to something like below 10%, which is a very good result. But if I were just to press Play and wait for what match the game will assign me to, it would still be prelevantly low-ranked matches like it had been before.

Yeah, it isn’t server related. I was switching back and forth between an account I have in gold league and one in diamond; both on US only.

The gold account would get paired with the other golds queuing up, while the diamond wouldn’t. Instead it’d throw the golds into their own match then pair the diamond up with the silvers; or if you were lucky, one other gold/diamond.

The game is trying so hard to find diamond members that don’t exist that it instead just waits out the timer before finally giving up and pairing you with whoever else happens to be there at that moment.

At some point we should probably really improve the matchmaking to do more ‘bucketing’.
Currently we don’t really make any buckets, it basically just works like this.

Players in the queue are sorted based on the time they are in the queue.
Then it tries and find 5 matching players.
Every second the range for rank search is increased by xx for each player.
There are some other factors like region checks etc but yeah…

Ideally it would reserve matches in buckets and rate them before actually creating the matches.
If there are 5 grandmasters and 5 silvers it would make more sense to wait a little longer to try and create 2 perfect matches instead of 2 not so great matches.
Previously we had very little players and since then we never tweaked the matchmaking because we’ve been busy with a lot of other things.
Hopefully some day soonish I can spend some time to design and implement a better system.
We might also just add a setting to set your matchmaking quality or do it based on rank.

Thanks!

@Rojoss Yeah, I think such “buckets” should solve it. Until then, though, if matchmaking works like you described then it seems like there is an easy workaround to somewhat decrease the amount of such stupid situations - I think the problem is in that

“XX” is - at least I assume from your answer - a constant independent of the actual rank level. Because it obviously points to why diamond would be more likely to match with silvers than GMS: because one “rank point” means way less at the top ranks. If I’m let’s say 1650, it means there are roughly only 100 people above me, but they are very far apart one from another. Probably if the range increased more quickly in the “sparsely-populated” areas like I guess 1650+ or 1700+ would be, then it would mean there are actual chances of finding a GM who’s ranges already include some Diamond players, before those Diamond players’ ranges include low-ranks.

Because as soon as a Diamond player’s range starts to include low-ranks, it’s almost certain some will be found (cause there’s many of them). When a GM’s range starts to include diamonds (“low-ranks” from GM’s perspective), it’s still fairy unlikely that a match will be found instantly, because there’s not that many diamond players.

oh yess that would be awesome

Yes that would be a good temporary fix I think.

The further you are away from average rank the faster it would search in that direction and also a little faster in the opposite direction.
So for example currently it would be like 1400-1600 with1500 rank and then it would be more like 1350-1700 at same time.

Will try and think something out that still works fast for most players and maybe sneak it in an update hehe.

We players should have the option if we are a certain rank like for instance, we’ve leveled up to diamond then there should be boxes to check like “Pair me up with “Bronze/silver/gold/diamond” and we can choose. Maybe some people JUST wanna be paired up with golds or diamonds to rank up more easily, but it can imply a longer waiting time. I would rather wait longer than to win +3 points at first place by competing against lower level players. And maybe sometime you just want to play immediately then you should be able to check all boxes. I think this really is a great solution. But I don’t think you should be able to choose to be paired up with higher levels than you already are.

Can we have the option to choose as a player what ranks we want to be matched it, i.e a player who has achieved a certain rank can check off in a box who they want to be matched with. But you can only check off ranks that you are ABOVE. So if I’m a diamond player I can choose to play (or not) against bronze, silvers, golds and other diamonds but not against GM. But GM can choose to play against me. But maybe bronze should be limited to just play against gold (I don’t know what would be best). This update would mean a player who chooses to play against only a certain rank would have a longer que time BUT I can say that it would be worth it for me so I earn more points. Also that we have the choice to check off all boxes is good in case we want to quickly play a game.

I think you would wait ages @alleah… i normally wait pretty long for any kind of game and i get almost certainly +1 for it :joy: yea that sucks but you have to think at the other part as well. If you get paired with only silvers it is at least a save +3 instead of a maybe -10/+10 who knows

But i admit that playing with the same region of rank would be nice. But i dont think they should make actual buttons, would be too complicated i think. Hardcoding it will be much easier imo.