Dev Blog 14 | Progress on Persistent Groups | Upcoming Updates

Hello everyone! :wave:

It’s been a while and I wanted to update you on what we’ve been up to these past few weeks. As I mentioned in a past Dev Blog, we’ve been focusing a lot on improving the social aspect of the game. So far we’ve released the Friends List system and we’ve done good progress on the upcoming Persistent Groups release.

To spare you a trip to that particular Dev Blog on Persistent Groups I’ll try to describe the feature in a few words here:

It will be a new social feature that gives players the option to stick with the group they just played with, or, find new opponents. Based on how many players choose to stay in the same group, matchmaking will fill up your group to 6 players again, after which you can play your next match.

This feature is meant to enable players to rematch, get revenge, or simply make the most out of those moments when you find yourself really enjoying your opponents regardless of the outcome of the match. They might be of your skill level, have a fun combo or just nice people to hang out with.

Currently, after playing a match in Quick Play, you have a high chance to be separated. We really want to make it as easy as possible for you all to find people you enjoy playing with, and hopefully, make new friends.

:warning: A heads up regarding this update! :warning:

Despite the fact that you will most likely not notice a huge difference (visual wise) when this update goes live, it will be quite a huge change in the way matchmaking works. There will be a lot of changes done "behind the scenes". This and the fact that there is only so much testing we are able to do on our side, we expect to have some initial issues with this update. When it goes live you can expect to encounter bugs and errors. As always, we'll greatly appreciate your help with reporting any bugs you will come across. We will plan this update to go live in the upcoming weeks, preferably on a Monday. This way, if anything game breaking happens, we have the time to quickly revert the update, fix it, re-release and repeat if needed. Thus we hope to minimize the inconvenience as much as we can.

Despite this being a more difficult update to put live, we really think that it will greatly improve the experience of the game. It will also lay the groundwork for another major update we’ve all been looking forward to for quite some time: :tada: TEAMS. :tada:

Teams :bust_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

For now, I'll just say that teams will be, as you might expect, a different game mode → different matchmaking. The Teams game mode will be first available only in Quick Play and it will replace FFA. A team will be made out of 3 players but you can just as well queue up as 1 or 2 players and you will be put in a team with 2 or 1 other player(s).

I’ll go more in-depth about scoring and other stuff related to how Teams will work (maybe even some sneak peeks on how they will look like) in the next Dev Blog. You can expect the next one to be up soon after we finish up with Persistent Groups. In the meantime, pray for us! This Persistent Groups update is slowly eating away at our sanity! :woozy_face:

As always, thank you for reading! :heart_eyes: I hope you all have a fun weekend! :black_heart:

OH! I almost forgot: :four_leaf_clover: Good Luck! :four_leaf_clover: to everyone participating in Sunday’s tournament (there is still time to sign up if you haven’t already)!!

Curve Fever Pro Update Notes | 25-06-2019 | 1.8.0 - 1.8.5 - 1.8.6b - 1.8.6c | rematch

Teams :heart_eyes: can’t wait to have it. As far as I understood there wont be a quickplay FFA then for a while right?

hope teamers dont use persistent groups to grief others

That’s also what I understood.

As much as I look forward to teams, I hope quickplay FFA will still be an option. Being obliged to play as a team, even when you want to play alone… meh

Yeah, finally teams! Can’t wait to see how it works out. Making it 3v3 in the beginning is nice as well. :slight_smile:

There won’t be an option for it when we release teams.
The main reason we replace it is because we release it during the summer break.
Throughout the history of curve fever we always have way less players playing the game and we are also seeing it now again this year.
After the summer break most players will come back and the game will grow again, that’s when we might introduce two gamemodes for quickplay but we’ll see how it goes.
It’s obviously also more work to make it so both gamemodes are supported in quickplay but that’s not the main reason.

With the persistent groups there’s not too much difference with quickplay and customs either way so you can still play FFA in customs.

When will this happen?

Either the next Monday, or the next next Monday, or the next next next Monday :smiley:

Thank you @theangelov! I didn’t really read it, I just skimmed through it but thanks anyway.